Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Food for Thought: Some Quotes From the Lucid-Elusion Translation [LET]

I'm currently in a feverish frenzy (more figuratively & hyperbolically than really) researching the concept & executive structure of prayer—i.e. "What is prayer and how does it work?" It's really quite an exciting adventure: I've unearthed a couple of things that are nothing short of fascinating, and this all from just looking in the Bible! Will I tell you what those findings are? Well... maybe some day. I'm still in the process of tying together a unified theory on "prayer mechanics" (hooray for pretentiousness!!) which I hope actually to test out in the near(ish) future. So, if you're interested in being a guinea pig for a research study on prayer, let me know!

Okay. The preamble's over & done with. Why this entry? Well, I just finished translating the Lord's Prayers found in both Matthew 6 & Luke 11, and I thought that it would be interesting to post my results for you, oh world, to mull over. Let me know what you think. Note the subtle differences between the passages, as they do (for once, since most translators choose merely to gloss them over) actually make a difference:

Luke 11

2[Jesus] Speaking to them, “Whenever you yourself pray, speak thusly: Father, I revere your name. Let your kingdom fully come. 3Give to us each day the bread we need. 4And remove from us our failures & shortcomings, being that we are removing all debts owed to us. And do not carry us into trials or temptations.”

(paraphrased: 4Forgive us our "sins" (aka, failures or shortcomings) as we forgive the all the wrongs that we hold against others.)


Matt 6

9Therefore, pray in this manner: “Our Father in the heavens, I revere your name. 10Let your kingdom fully come. Make your intentions as they are in heaven, so on earth. 11Our bread for the coming time, you have given to us this day. 12And remove from us our failures & shortcomings, as so we removed the debts owed to us. 13And do not carry us into trials or temptations, but rescue us from the evil one.”



If you're interested, yes, these translations are made directly from the Nestle-Aland Greek texts and not mere paraphrasing from other English translations.
AP-GM-S;/;AP-GM-S/;/AP-GM-S;AP-GN-S;/AP-GN-S;AP-GN-S/;AP-GM-S/AP-GN-S;AP-GN-S/AP-GM-Sπονηρός

4 comments:

Jacob said...

A unified theory on prayer mechanics? Booyah! Don't think you'll get away with not telling me all about it. Being a guinea pig for prayer research sounds pretty interesting, but you'll have to let me know what it entails. As you know, I'm not very good at prayer.

Filth- Man said...

I also am in on your study. I also can't vouch for being "good" at prayer, but all those "Lord please don't let me die" ones have been answered thus far.

Anonymous said...

you can read Greek??

Lucid Elusion said...

Yes I can read Attic/Koine Greek: it's one of the upsides of taking a year-long course in the language at university. However, I still do rely heavily on my trusty lexcia & class notes / textbook.