Saturday, June 25, 2005

Intermission

Hello, world.

It's 5:30 in the morning, 6 hours since I got off work & also just before I start my second 8-hour shift at "the restaraunt". A couple of thoughts struck me this morning, and I feel impelled to share them. As I was in my bathroom this morning shaving, I heard the sound of a toilet somewhere in my building flush, and it got me to thinking how crazily amazing, peculiar and wonderful the creation of the Lord is. Here I am, going about my life, yet in the very same building, there are probably close to another hundred individuals, goinga bout their own unique lives, having their own experiences which may be in no way related to mine at all. They all have lives. They all ned to get up, eat, and go about their daily mandated activities. What a totally absurd concept that other people have their own business & their own agendas. Yet, this is the way with the world. The intricacy of the whole human endeavour is mind=boggling if you sit down and think of it. Imagine watching/observing the whole dynamic thing from the outside: and you thought ant farms were astonishing!

The second interesting thought came to me whilst I was showering. I remembered a long-past memory, when I was a wee lad of narry three years' age. My family was at the time living in Grande Prairie, Alta, and I remember this certain occasion when my family was travelling to Peace River in our old Vista Cruiser-esque station wagon (It was an Oldsmobile, but that's all I can really remember). My brothers and I were sitting in the back (reversed) seat of the station wagon with a couple of our Peace River cousins, and while we were driving, the road bounded over a long row of small hills. It was--at the time--perhaps the coolest thing in the world. The closest thing to a rollercoaster that I had yet experienced, that straight road bee-lining over the hillcrests & through the intermediate valleys. Every time we got to the top of a hill, the peak was small enough to get that little rising feeling in your stomach you get when you lose a bit of earth's gravitational putt. We all laughed, giggled and thoroughly enjoyed both the amber-coloured countryside & the upsie-downsie of the trip while watching our other cousins in the only other vehicle on the road, several hundred metres behind.

The bliss of those days. It seems so long ago & so removed that it almost feels like another lifetime. I think that heaven will be much like that memory: We didn't have a care in the world, as everything was looked after in our lives. We knew that we were loved and we feared nothing at all in the world. It was a snapshot of perfect, childish happiness, and it is a memory like this that makes me all the more aware why Jesus calls us to be like little children. He's taking care of everything: there should be no worries, no fears, no troubles, for we know that He is watching over us & is protecting us from all kinds of evil & trouble. Mind you, we will still get our knees scraped in the playground of life, be we shouldn't be so caught up in the things that stress us out. Instead, we should sit in Vista Cruisers with our family & friends, bobbing up and down along the road of life, letting Christ drive the station wagon as we thoroughly enjoy what He has in store for us. Oh, and don't forget to invite your friends on the road trip: the more people in the back seat, the more infectious the funness and the more contagious the laughter becomes.

No comments: