Friday, May 06, 2005

Quick Thick Trick Pick

ok, so it's 3.30 in the morning & I want to go to bed, but I thought that this was interesting enough to post before hitting the hay...

So, I was riding the bus home from work today & a guy got on, paid his fare, walked past me & sat in one of the seats across the aisle a couple of rows behind me. All's good for a while. I'm sitting there minding my own business, reading my Bible on my PDA. The bus keeps going along on its route until some time later, the guy who got on out of the blue says, "So, you're the Lord's, eh?" I look up and over at the guy, who was obviously looking at me. He sounded a bit drunk, so I ignored him. A few seconds later, he says, "So, you're fighting for the Lord, eh?" as he mockingly smirks and chuckles, "So, what're ya gonna do? ... Drink a lot of beer! That'll help you fight for the Lord! ... A lot of beer!" The next thing I know, he's pulled the yellow "stop request" cord and gets off at the next stop.

I mention this instance because it was completely out of the ordinary, but it reminds me of several previous incidents I've had. What's striking about these circumstances is that there would have been no way that he could have known that I was a Christian by mere observation: I was quickly reading the preface to the NASV during his stay on the bus, so there was no Biblical passage in sight even if he was looking directly over my shoulder, instead of across the bus & opposite of my viewing perspective. So.... what's up? Here's the goods: intoxication lowers inhibitions, not only physically or mentally, but spiritually as well. It was not the guy who was taunting me. Yes that's correct, you read it right. Although it was his body, it was not him. A spiritual power within him was manifesting itself. How can I be sure? Well, I've seen, talked to and been around demon-possessed people before & I know what it's like: I've been involved in 2 exorcisms; I've seen the signatures of demon-possession in people's eyes when I "look into" them (ask me about this sometime if you're interested); I've heard the manner in which demons have spoken (at least the manner they've used when I've been around). Not only this, but we have documented instances of demon-possessed people interacting with Christ & even some apostles in the NT.

As a result of this experience on the bus, I kind of was hit by a feeling of "Oh yeah." I was reminded that there's a lot more going on around us in our daily lives than what we are aware of, and that we are actually in a battleground, with an a enemy that is not bound to this world & who is very powerful—yet not more powerful than He who lives within me.

It made me think again. Demon-possession is weird. It could be around us all the time & we don't even notice it... the spiritual world is real & it's something we as (post)modern Western civilisation gloss over far too readily. But--this experience is yet another instance of me being confirmed in the realisation that the God I serve is real & the spiritual powers out there actually do exist.

Are you on the winning side of the war? Are you fighting? Do you want to know more &/or to talk about it? Feel free to approach me.


The Lucid Elusion is out... for now.

No comments: